Thursday, May 17, 2012

A Little Bit More of Jordan

Wow, 3 weeks has just screamed by and I have spent several hours on the computer just prepping pictures so they are web friendly in order to post them.

Let the blogging begin!

Other than being reunited with Spidey, we managed to see some of the sights in Amman, Jordan.

The Citadel was interesting but I won't bore you with more pictures of ruins cause even I am getting tired of them and there will be more coming in future posts about Turkey.

However, as part of the Citadel, there was an archeological museum and some of the pottery within has given me some inspiration for my future pottery attempts.

Nice foot!

Interesting idea - what do you think they used it for?

Who says a bowl's opening has to be at the top

Another interesting foot - mind you this is made of stone not clay
Then it was time to look at modern art.  Amman has a museum dedicated to modern art by Islamic artists.  It was quite a departure from what we were used to seeing (ancient relics) and a welcome reprieve.


Who had to eat all these chocolate bars so
the artist could make the outfit?

Very nice print.

Clay water buffalos - more inspiration for my pottery.
But the most impressive piece was moveable.  Sorry, you are going to have to tilt your head to the right to view this.



Then, on our departure day, I had an small adventure in the front seat of our taxi while Michel was innocently sitting in the back seat.

We met Waleed 2 days prior to our departure and he quoted us a good rate to take us to the airport.  We ran into him the next day and confirmed with him.  When he picked us up, he told me to sit in the front seat.  Now you need to know that the guide books actually suggest that as a woman, you should not sit in the front seat as this can be very uncomfortable for a Muslim man so it seemed odd but I am a good Canadian so, I did what I was told. 

Now, Waleed was very friendly and stressed how we should recommend his services to any of our friends or family and he gave us several of his business cards.  He also offered us some cookies to snack on as it was early in the morning.  Then, he told us he wanted to stop at a coffee shop for 10 minutes to take us for a coffee as we had time.  Then he started to touch my shoulder or my knee as he made a specific point in his speach.  I thought it very forward for a Muslim man but I thought perhaps he was gay and very effusive - no big deal in my world.

I told him I would talk about his services on my blog so he asked me for my email address and phone number - once again, no big deal in my world.  However, when I wrote the information down and gave the piece of paper back to him, he wrote on it and then showed it to me........"My Darling".  OK, Buster, my husband is the back seat and you are freakn' hitting on me?!?!?!?!?!  Really???????

However, now I don't want to make a scene (once again being a good Canadian) as the airport is no more than 20 minutes away and I will never see this man again.

The funny thing was that Michel and I had discussed tipping Waleed prior to getting in the cab because he seemed so friendly and had offered us such a good rate.  So, when we got to the airport, Michel gave Waleed a 5 Dinar tip.  I, on the other hand, heaved a sigh of relief (after having to hug Waleed) that it was over. 

It was only then, that I said something to Michel and he was amazed as he didn't see any of it and was wondering why I hadn't said anything.

Anyway, I may live to regret the taxi ride as Waleed has already called my cel phone once.  I no longer will answer any phone calls from Jordan.


Me, Veve and pervy Waleed


 

No comments:

Post a Comment