Sunday, February 12, 2012

Cornwall Highlights

St. Micheal's Mount
On our first weekend at the farm, David took us out with him and Frankie on their Sunday walk.  We went to St. Micheal's Mount.  It is interesting because there is another site in France called St. Michel's Mount and they both are islands just off shore and when the tide comes in, you can't get to them except by boat.  We had a great time walking on the beach and playing ball with Frankie.  Unfortunately, by the time we got to the end of the beach with St. Micheal's on it, the tide had started to come in and as you can see in the picture below, we couldn't get to the island.


I am not sure if it is considered an extreme sport when you kite surf in the kind of weather that Cornwall has in January.  It wasn't freezing but there is no way you could have gotten me into the water on this day.  We were wearing touques and mitts!



Porthleven
On the first Saturday at the farm, all of us went to Porthleven, a very cute fishing/vacation village not far from the farm.  The ocean was amazing as it crashed into the cliffs.  Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures.

We also stopped in at a great pub for some ale and crisps (Frankie's favorite after walk snack).

Dyeing Fibre
Angela and I dyed some yarn from her alpacas.  I did yarn from Tamaroo (not part of the herd anymore).  She also had a small amount of fleece (I can't remember from which alpaca - may have been Brilliance).  We used annatto seeds to get this great butter cream color.


Learning to Drive a Tractor
During our second week, David offered me the opportunity to learn to drive the tractor.  I jumped at the opportunity!  I am turning into a real farm girl on some levels.  I have a great time driving the tractor and even got to pull tree stumps out with the tractor.  I can't say the same thing for learning to use the chainsaw.  Don't worry, no accidents - it's just that I don't enjoy using the chainsaw the way I like driving the tractor.

Anyway - back to the tractor. Frankie believes that she owns the tractor and so she sits in the seat whenever it is being driven.  It leaves precious little room for anyone else's butt so there is always a little maneuvering that needs to happen

The yellow in the picture is the seat - note where I am in
comparison to the seat!
Michel pulling tree stumps!
He is my hee-man!
Touring Truro
Our second weekend, we went into Truro on Saturday and toured around downtown.  It is a nice little town.  We decided to see the movie "The Artist" which is pretty close to being a silent movie.  It is a good show and can recommend seeing it.

The Lizard
The Lizard is the most southerly point of main land UK.  Last weekend, I went with David and Frankie for a walk to see it.  Another amazing coast line.  We walked along the top of the cliffs to get to the specific point called "The Lizard".  Can you see the lizard in the picture below?
Spot the Lizard - it has nothing to do with the 2 shetland ponies!
Look at the green lichen on the rock.

My poor pieds were tired by the time we were finished as we had walked 7 miles - can't remember the last time I walked that far.

David and Frankie heading towards the Lizard.
No matter where we go - a portion of my farm look
comes with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment