Sunday, April 1, 2012

Agde, France

During our stay in Montreal, I met Diane.  She is an old family friend of the Apollon's and Michel had not seen her in almost 13 years (unfortunately, at Leslie's funeral).  She was in the process of arranging to move to Agde, France as her 17 year old grandson, Joel, had earned a place on the Agde city football team and was going to finish his last year of school there as well.

This situation had another positive effect as Diane's husband, Yves, is in the oil and gas sector and has been working on projects in Africa for several years.  Now, instead of flying home to Quebec every couple of months, he only has to fly to Agde.  Saving time, money and jetlag.

Well, we had a great time with Diane and Joel.  They are very upbeat, relaxed people so we felt right at home.

Diane declared that we should take the six days we would be with her to improve my French so I could communicate with Zita better.  Well, by jove, she did it!!  Actually, it was not my speaking that improved so much as my hearing.  I can follow conversations much better which means that Veve does not have to translate quite as much. 

However, now it is on to Arabic.  I have learnt how to say, yes, no, please, thank you, if Allah is willing and KISS ME in Arabic.  That last one has a very small audience that I can use it with but it is the one I have practiced the most so far.

The night we arrived, Joel was playing a game!  What luck because his team only plays a game once a week.  So, we got to see him in action in the second half of the game.

I have to say that I actually like watching football.  It doesn't seem as complicated as American football or hockey.  It is fast paced and not overly long.

Joel has just "headed the ball"!!!!!!


The next day we went to the old part of Agde.  Diane had come to Agde with Joel when he tried out for the city team.  She also took the opportunity to look for a place to live (in case Joel got a position on the team - which he did - Yah!!!).  They stayed in a hotel and so, being the incredibly bubbly and outgoing person she is, she befriended the owners of the hotel.  We got to meet Sebastian (husband), Ingrid (wife), Julie (daughter) and Lea (daughter).  We also got to meet Sebastian's mom, dad and brother who were down for a visit.  There was much French flying around but Veve was my ever faithful translator.

Diane and her French god-daughter, Lea.
Ingrid, the proud mother, looks on.
Everyone is happy!


Then it was off to the boat races, literally.



We also spent an afternoon earlier this week on the beach as I wanted to put my feet in the Mediteranean before I got to Turkey!!! 
Diane and I on the end of a quay that reaches
into the Mediterranean.

We went out to lunch in Sete (where Joel goes to school) one day and afterwards, we walked on the beach and rocks again.  I could really get used to this life style.
Joel proving that although his is mature for his age,
there is still a teenage boy inside!
Smoking a flower!!!!

On Thursday, Diane took us to the Grotte de Limousis.  It was absolutely breathtaking and I can see what might cause someone to become a caver.  They currently have an application in at the World Heritage organization as they have what they believe to be the world's largest Argon (sp?) crystal formation.  The picture below is a tiny portion of it.  It is actually about the size of a smart car.

The guide was very funny and demostrated how musical the cave was by tapping gently on some of the stalagtites (coming down from the ceiling).  I kicked myself later as I thought I was videoing it but afterwards, nooooooooooooooooooo.  I hate when I am technically incompetent!!

Argon crystals in the Grotto de Limousis - amazing!
Calcite columns being reflected in a pool of water!
Tres magnific!


Vineyards are almost as prolific as wheat fields on the prairies.  But look closer at the picture below.  Does a vine stump not look like a baby Ent.  Could all these fields actually be incubators for Ents?  Could Ents be planning an over throw of the human race considering what we have done to Earth's forests?  Don't dismiss this conspiracy theory out of hand.  Take but a moment to ponder it.  We should be prepared!!!!!



Until then, let us drink hardily of their fruits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


So, with that our week with Diane and Joel had come to an end.  The only thing left to do was to ensure that my husband no longer looked like a scary terrorist (we are traveling over several borders so there is no need to encourage sterotyping by border patrol).  Which of these men would you think is a terrorist?
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment