Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The View from the Top

So, my Mom and Dad have been concerned about us coming to Jordan since the first time we mentioned it.  I have told Mom that I would either post blogs or email her regularly to give her some piece of mind.  She got an email yesterday.......we are doing great.

Our plane from Amman to Aqaba did get cancelled.  By the time we got to the hotel and to bed it was 1:30am.  The hotel gave us a wake up call at 4:30am so we could catch the bus back to the airport.  There was a little confusion when we got to Aqaba as I had emailed Zedane the night before and asked him to cancel the taxi that was taking us to Wadi Rum from the hotel we were suppose to stay in but didn't have a chance to call or email him before we got on the new flight.

Anyway, some nice taxi drivers at the airport called him, we sorted it out and we were at Zedane's office by 10:30am.  We spent the entire day waiting for him to show up (he was out doing stuff) but his staff (some of them family), were nice.  For the entire afternoon, no one was in the office but us.  We sat in comfortable chairs and drifted in and out of sleep.

Then it was off to the camp.  It is 12km from the village (where the office is).  On the way there, we stopped to see Zedane's "castle/cave" (aka: love den - I think) (And if we get a chance, Michel and I will make it our love den too!!!!).

Zedane's Castle -
A couple of half walls built out from a shear cliff face.

I am glad this is not my first HelpX.  It would be disappointing and may have put me off HelpX as Zedane is not very communicative about what he wants from us.  I have seen him with his clients and he is not very communicative with them either so this is what we have to look forward to.  He gave me his email passwords this morning and then left. No other guidance, not even his email addresses (he did mention he had a Yahoo and Hotmail account). No problem, I put on my Super Sasha costume and dug out his emails (from various sources) and I have answered several emails today so I hope he doesn't mind me taking the bull by the horns- guess I will find out when he gets back in.

It is also the kind of posting where we are not "part of the family".  However, today I met some of his family as I am in the office and Michel is out at camp working.  I was taken surprise when a lady in full on black (from head to toe and wearing a face veil) walked into the office and then closed the door.  She proceded to take her veil off and it was only when she went to the door to the house (the office is on the front of the house) that I realized who she was - Zedane's wife.  She doesn't speak English.  I did get to meet some of his kids (Faed, Zaed, Kaled and Hala). Hala is the oldest and she speaks very good English.  Most of the inhabitants of Wadi Rum speak some English. 

The camp accommodations where we will live for the next 3 weeks are rustic.  We are on mats on the floor for sleeping.  The food is hardy but the heat takes the edge off my hunger.  It is actually quite nice here heat-wise. Definitely not as hot as in Haiti but I wouldn't want to be here in the middle of the summer - yikes!!!!  See what our weather forecast is here!!!  But the sunsets are breathtaking!!!




More later!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment