Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy Egg Day!!!!!

I hope the Easter Bunny is bringing everyone lots of chocolate and colored eggs.  None of that where I am but I think I will stop by the "grocery" store at lunch and pick up some chocolate.

The first week has been interesting.  The landscape is incredibly beautiful and the people are very friendly.  However, the cultural differences are starting to show.

Everything is possible here if you just have the patience for them to work it out.  They are not too good at communicating exactly how long it will take to work things out but just relax, have some tea and I am sure that within several hours, it will all be worked out. 

There are definitely scams here as well.  If you are not careful, what cost someone 60 JOD could cost another person 15 JOD.

Zedane must be very comfortable with me as he has given me is password to FB and I had to email a woman in Russia the other day (nothing scintilating - just what looked like business) but when she emailed back, FB, of course, included the entire history of emails with this person.  TMI, TMI, TMI.  Your wife is your wife but there will always be others apparently.

I did the mistake of dancing to a tune in the kitchen at camp the other night and the Arabic tour guide that was in the kitchen politely told me that this was not something that was done in their culture (aka: please stop dancing in front of all the Muslim boys).  Hint taken - won't do it again.

The work is more than was expected and we have not talked about days off yet but Zedane is already calling me "The Boss" and he seems to be happy with our performance.

The moon rise over the hill behind camp.

We are living in one of the communal tents.  We originally were just on mattresses on the ground but yesterday we decided to upgrade to bedframes. The Canadian flag was given to me earlier this week by a Jordanian tour guide (kinda nifty) so we put it up and told Zedane that we were claiming some land for Canada.  We also kibitzed with each other that we should get an attack beaver but then decided against it.

On the plus side, Zedane then put up a full blown partition to separate our beds from the rest of the communal tent - very nice of him.  We have visual privacy but man, oh, man, sound travels well in the desert.

We claim this portion of the tent in the name of
Canada!

The food here is turning out to be a bit like Haiti.  We have the same meal every night for dinner - Zarp.  Roast chicken, potatoes and onions cooked in a sand pit (see pic below).  Then there are some other dishes but they never change either.  I am lucky though as I go out for lunch every day so can get some variety.  Poor Michel is stuck in camp and either eats leftovers or scrounges something from the food supplies.

Zarp - hot out of the oven
 So, I hope everyone enjoys their Easter and has a great dinner.  You know what I will be having.

Love

M
Who is this sexy looking beast!!!!!


Camp by moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment