Monday, April 4, 2011

House Renovation Blues

There is nothing like the threat of having to rent out your house to make you notice all the flaws in said space!

Veve and I are in the throes of trying to get everything fixed up and it is the proverbial "one step forward, two steps back"!

We decided to reglaze the tiles in our basement bathroom to get rid of the 70s look.  Why......I am not too sure.....I am sure the 70s were good for someone!  Wouldn't you know it.....it has morphed into oh so much more.  The contractor found one wall that was rotten along with black mold.  Being Rosco's daughter, if you are going to do a job, you might as well do it right, the contractor is now replacing portions of 3 walls, retiling and then reglazing so all the tiles look the same.  The contractor is very nice and I am glad we picked him because I had another contractor in and they just wanted to cover up the job - including replacing missing grout with caulking (Mom-you need to tell Dad this cause I know can't operate the computer and he needs to know that he did a good job instilling his values!).  So, if you ever renovate your bathroom, I would suggest  Peter at Quality Renew It (http://www.qualityrenewit.ca/).

This is what our bathroom looked like several days ago.  Once it is done, I will show you the difference.  Please notice my BE-U-TI-FUL paint job on the cupboard - that is only 3 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint!  It used to be a very dark brown wood (also very popular in the 70s).  And what I thought would be a weekend project took 9 days!

And now for something completely different:

Home Renovation Blues (one verse version)
(sung to tune of Babysitting Blues - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0rY3dn5kos)

We got a house
We need to rent it
But its so dated
It's got to be renovated

And it's so hard
Renovating the house

We've got the home renovation blues

No comments:

Post a Comment