Thursday, June 16, 2011

Haiti - Part Deux

We have recieved confirmation for a second placement in Haiti!  From September 6 thru October 6, we will be working with Eurpean Disaster Volunteers (EDV) who have programs running in Port au Prince.  We will be helping out with construction of schools and fixing up orphanages and potentially aiding in health and English education (http://www.edvolunteers.org/programmes-projects).

I told them I had some experience with marketing and copy editing and they seemed quite interested in that.  I hope they don't have me working in an office all day!  Crap, can you imagine if I ended up doing office work in Haiti!  If I get to work with locals, I wouldn't mind so much.  I can just see me leaving Haiti as pale as I am now because I became an office volunteer!

I thought about doing a fundraising thing at the party we are having this weekend but considering that many of the people that are coming are also helping us move the "big stuf" (from our house to the storage unit) earlier in the day, I didn't think it would be kind to then hit them up for money.  I was going to take some of the "stuff" we were purging and have a blind garage sale (everything would be wrapped so you would buy something that you had no idea what it was)!  Heather and Kris were skeptical of the idea but I thought it might be funny - but alas, it has gone the way of the dodo.

The rest of our life is kinda in limbo right now.  Packing, packing, packing.  It is making the girls none to happy.  Cats really don't like change so the fact that the house is slowing becoming empty is making them a little clingy.  But damn, they are cute!

1 comment: