Friday, June 3, 2011

A Night of Savage Love (G Rated)

Oh, now all you people get your minds out of the gutter!  I am a respectible married woman!

Calgary is having it's Fairy Tales Film Festival (http://www.fairytalesfilmfest.com/) right now and they brought in Dan Savage, a US syndicated sex advice columnist, to give a talk.

As an aside, I need to say that I absolutely LOVE the FTFF's tagline this year "Labels are for soup cans"!  I think it is a brilliant piece of marketing!

Anyways, back to the point of this blog..........I love reading  Dan Savage's "Savage Love" columns in Calgary's Fast Forward weekly (http://www.ffwdweekly.com/life-style/savage-love/) and agree whole-heartedly with his politics (because you can't have sex without there being politics involved!). 

He even throws in some religion as well - he is a Christian of the best sort!

Some of you may have heard of him last fall as he and his partner started a program called "It Gets Better" after a rash of teenagers committed suicide because of being bullied because either they were gay or were percieved to be gay.  I think the work of this project is stellar!  He is not only hoping to help LBGT teenagers to know that it gets better but all teenagers that have been bullied.

I am feeling very "activisty" today and so would like to encourage everyone to take the pledge on the It Gets Better website (http://www.itgetsbetter.org/page/s/pledge/) and to speak up against hate and intolerance, all types of it, whenever you encounter it.

Thank you for listening to my rant today!

No comments:

Post a Comment