Friday, August 5, 2011

Farmington Comes to an End

It is just mere hours until my first help exchange will be over.  It has been a great experience for the most part and I am looking forward to my next one (just need to plan it first).


Susun was pretty lax with us this week and not the usual slave driver that she is (tee hee tee hee).


Blueberry Picking
We got to go blueberry picking yesterday.  It only took 5 of us about 45 minutes to pick almost 30lbs of blueberries. They are scrumtilitious.


(Susun, me and Matt)

Karen was cute because she was so interested in the concept of blueberry picking that she spent most of her time taking pictures.  Susun was the power picker of the bunch so she took over Karen's bucket.
 
(Karen didn't like the original picture I posted so this is the new one!)

Ada is absolutely terrified of caterpillars and so was very nervous about the adventure.  At one point, she started freaking out because she had stepped on something and it was squishy.  She was jumping up and down and lost one of her flip flops too boot.  It turned out the culprit was an errant blueberry.  This made her feel much better!

(One of Ada's happier moments in the blueberry patch)

And because I like to be the class clown:



Norlands
On Tuesday, Susun took us to the Washburn-Norlands Living History Center (http://www.norlands.org/).
     "Today, Norlands is a multifaceted museum offering in-depth experiences in 18th and 19th century rural life. Here, the visitor is an active participant in daily and seasonal farming and housework, and becomes involved in the social, political and educational activities of the times."
We had a great time in the school as the volunteer had developed a school teacher character based on her great aunt.  She proceeded to tell us about how she got hired and what the typical school day was like, how she would punish us if we were not good, etc.  Then she gave us a lesson in reading and mathematics - I rocked the math questions.  My Mama didn't raise no fool you know!

2 comments:

  1. hey,you promise me to change my ugly photo!
    Don't trick me!I'll love u more♥
    BTW,What is 'tee hee tee hee'?Your laughter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you were all having a great time doing your berrypicking thing. Drive safe on the next leg.

    ReplyDelete