Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Haiti - Day 1

Orientation in the morning - all the dos and don'ts. Apparently sex is ok, just make sure you don't do it in the bunks cause there is no such thing as privacy. All the other rules are pretty standard.

In the afternoon, I got to work with some of the locals building Biosand Filters which were designed in Calgary - it's a small world! My job was to wash pebbles and small rocks over and over again until they reached the right degree of cleanliness. I think I was lucky because I got to work up to my elbows in water all day which made the heat not quite so oppressing cause let me tell you.........it is freaking hot and humid here! However, my hands are a little beat up and sore.

Veve got to help clean up the workshop, repaired tools and organized nails by size (apparently for the past six months, some of the volunteers have not been good at this).

Tomorrow we are on the same work detail putting up chain link fence around a school!

1 comment: