Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas Catchup

I don't really feel like writing today - am a little sad.  I think it was because we were alone for Christmas with no family around.  Don't get me wrong......we had a lovely day but it just wasn't the same.  I am hoping that by writing to all of you, it will put me in a better frame of mind.

So, I am just going to randomly talk about what we have been up to over the last week.

Before Christmas, Veve and I had a day to ourselves where we each headed into Manchester to go to a different museum.  Veve chose to go to the Imperial War Museum North.  This is an offshoot of the very large Imperial War Museum in London which he wants to go to when we are there.  He had a good time but I think he will like the London one better.

I thought this was an aesthetically pleasing picture of
the Imperial War Museum North.
Anyone who knows Veve will
understand why he liked this
museum!  TOYS!!!



And while Veve was off drooling over machines of war, I was at the Manchester Museum of Art.  Lately, I find myself drawn towards contemporary art (there was a time when I had absolutely no interest in this type of art) and particularly, functional art.  There were some interesting pieces. 

This chair is made from more than 200 pieces
of sheet metal, each individually cut.  The artist
somehow computer generated the chair in 3D and
then this was used to cut the sheet metal.
This chair (which is big enough to sit on) was
hand blown in 3 pieces.  Look at how thick
the glass is.  To blow this would have taken
incredible strength and stamina!


I have my own artistic moment.  One of the bathrooms in
the flat reflected in the doorknob.  Look close and you can
see me.
Christmas day was very quiet.  We slept in and then got some breakfast before heading to the living room to open pressies.  Spidey was guarding the presents.  He is so good to us - especially considering that we didn't get him any pressies!  Sorry Spidey, we are horrible friends.


However, Spidey did get a Xmas email from his two friends, Batman and Superman.  They are hanging out at Sharon's for the Xmas season and she helped them send the greetings (they are ludites - just look at Batman's weapon and why do they need help with email!!!!).


For Xmas dinner, we found a Turduken which apparently are much more popular in England than in Canada.  It was a small roast that came pre-stuffed and had a lovely orange marmalade glaze.  It only took 2 hours to cook so we didn't have to spend all day in the kitchen either.

English people also have funny stuffing.  I could not find bread cubes to make stuffing (no way was there enough in the roast for dinner let alone leftovers - my favorite) (My Mom will find this funny since I hated stuffing most of my life).  So, I think to myself "Not a problem.  I will find boxed stuffing and doctor it up."  Well, apparently there is only one type of stuffing in all of England and a box the same size that couscous comes in will somehow feed 6 to 8 people!!!!  When I opened it, it was bread crumbs!!!!! It did smell good though.  I added pecans, butter and water and hoped for the best.  It would never feed 6-8 people but it tasted good and was enough for Michel and I (with a bit leftover).

Our Turducken
Boxing Day saw us go to another Manchester United game.  They were playing Wigan Athletics.  It was a sad little game (my mood may not have helped) because Wigan was greatly outmatched.  It was like watching a high school team play professionals.  I don't play football/soccer but even I know you don't randomly kick the ball somewhere where there are no players on your team or to a team member that is being swarmed by the other team.  Wigan didn't even make one goal and if I had to guess, I think they only got about 4 attempts on goal.......very sad.

Very festive police horse on Boxing Day.
Today, I will be finalizing the details for the next few weeks and will update you once I have the accommodations booked.

Love and miss you horribly!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. No croutons? You know, you can make bread cubes by lightly toasting bread slices and then cutting them into ... well ... cubes. Glad things worked out!

    ReplyDelete