Tuesday, July 12, 2011

On the Road Again...........

We hit the road again on Monday and my Mom and Dad say that your first day generally sets the tone of the trip.  If that is true, please pray for us.  We took the wrong turn at the lights in Carman (where my parents live and there is only one set of lights) and it took me about 15 minutes to realize the bad directions I had given Michel.  In Grand Forks, we missed our turnoff and in Minnesota, we once again took a wrong turn and to get back to where we were supposed to be (via a circular route) cost us an extra 50 miles (we are in the USA now so I have to use their system).  We laughed at ourselves and only ended the day about 100 miles short of where we wanted to be.

Today was much better!  We only got turned around once!  We are overnighting in Gaylord, Michigan and tomorrow we are off to Niagara Falls where we will spend 2 nights.

But now........it is catch up time though cause lots of stuff happened while we were in Manitoba.

The Hermetic Code Tour (A Canadian “Da Vinci Code”)
Back in the Fall, Michel discovered this strange thing about the Manitoba Legislative Building.  Frank Albo apparently spent 10 years of his life Leg and all its hidden Free Masonary code. He even went as far as to become a Free Mason so he could get inside the mind of the architect who built it! It turns out that they have developed his Masters Thesis into a book and he gives tours of the Leg during the summer. So, of course, we had to take the tour and it was absolutely fabulous.  To get a taste of what we experienced, see this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqO52erTdqk) and others on Youtube!

One of my favorite parts was the special room in the bottom of the Leg that has a star in the middle.  If you stand in the centre of the star and say something really loud, it can be heard everywhere in the building.  At the same time it reverberates inside your head. I gave it a try and it was very freaky. 

Afterwards, we had dinner with Sharon and Bruce.  It was a good time and I couldn’t stop talking about the tour.  I also couldn't stop bugging Bruce by asking "What are you up to tomorrow?  Oh, yah, you work....poor you....sucker".  Bruce got me back though as he is an early riser and he called me at 6:30am to ask what I was doing that day!

Winnipeg Folk Festival
We (Rob, Doug, Phil and I) introduced Michel to the joys of being a Folkie!  We spent 2 evenings and 1 full day soaking up great music and just hanging. We got to see some stellar acts including Blue Rodeo, Tegan & Sarah, Matt Anderson and K. D. Lang (her voice is phenomenal).  Michel survived the crowd of 14,000 and even my sister braved the masses (I didn't realize she didn't like crowds until now). My sister liked it so much, she went on Saturday as well but a bit of heat stroke - easy to understand considering how hot it was. 

We even had one night where Rob's friends, Karen and Julie, joined us with their two children, Elizabeth and Connor.  They both took a shining to us and we had a great time playing with them.  These kind of things are always welcome as it feeds any maternal instincts I have and then I am good for a while. 

Canada Day
Michel, me, Mama and PapaLou spent Canada Day in a little town near Carman called Roseisle.  It has a population of about 50 but they put on this huge CD celebration.  It amazes me how cohesive some of the small communities can be and what a few dedicated people are capable of pulling off.  Mom and I got henna tattoos.  11 days later, you can still see mine.......not what I was expecting!

As well, Spidey hung out with Mom and cooked up a storm.

We also saw this fantastic lawn chair that all my knitting friends will love!  Gotta get me one (sans the Grandma bit).


Happy Anniversary Rob & Phil!
On July 2nd, Rob and Phil celebrated their one year anniversary!  YAH!  To celebrate, they took a group of their friends out for dinner at Sydney's in the Forks.  It was very scrumptious and the dinner conversation was good.  Keep the good work up Rob and Phil.  Perhaps Michel and I will be in town for your second anniversary and this time, we can take you guys out.

Family BBQ
Last Sunday, Steve, Michel and I hosted a family BBQ.  Unfortunately, Scott could not make it but everyone else from Winnipeg and Carman was there.  Steve made pickerel appetizers that tasted so good that I will actually state that I definitely like fish (it has always been hit and miss with me). 
After most everyone left, I packed up my stuff with the help of Kaye and it was great to spend some one on one time with her (something I would like to do more of).

I really hope that this sabbatical ends with a visit with my family (Rob, you are lumped in the family section as we have known each other long enough that you definitely qualify) on the way home as the 2 weeks was not enough time.

No comments:

Post a Comment