Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Day One in My Life as a Research Assistant


Day one of the actual research has been completed and all I can say is that I am having fun!!!!

We went to a school close by and it looked like we had hoards of kids to process.  At one point, they were all around us and it was like being an animal in a zoo.  They were just so utterly fascinated with us.  I scared them a couple of times (they were only 7ish) by chasing them a bit.  They laughed and kept coming back.  I have to learn more Swahili so I can play a game with them.

Processing the kids is a bit like a production line.  We all have our jobs to do and if one person gets bogged down, it slows everyone’s progress.

The weather is hot and by the end of the day, I feel grimy.  But we have this wonderful apartment to come back to.  The shower is very fancy and can have water jets coming at you from different areas but I just use it the old fashioned way.  I will post pictures of the apartment this weekend when I have some time.

I have also become a morning person!  I have no choice as we have to be up early to get ready and have breakfast.  And breakfast has to be a substantial one as we don’t stop to eat until we are done processing the kids and back home.

There is lots of poverty here in comparison to Canada’s standard of living but it Is beautiful.  I said to Ken and Paula today that there may be poverty but many of those we see as being impoverished have a sense of pride in what they do have and that needs to be honored.

I have also started to get to know the Tanzanian contingent of the team.  Salah – he is the driver and handles getting the kids to fill the spit kit and closing them up – ick!  He is a better man than I as sometimes the kids miss the kit.  Kimwaga – he handles taking the kids information and consent form and is very friendly.  Mateo – doesn’t speak English but can read out numbers so he takes the kids weight, height and a couple of other measurements.  Me – I work the computer to take the pictures of the kids – it is not hard at all but I am glad that Benedikt gave me the opportunity to do it.

2 comments:

  1. What?! You mean you're not showering in a 5-gallon pail? ;o) Glad you're having fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm lost !!!!! you are where ???? doing what ????

    Make sure to take lots of pictures

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete