Sunday, May 8, 2011

Down $3,000 Tanzanian Schillings

Went for a walk on my own today and passed on the outskirts of the market.  I believe this is where the culprit made his move.  I am not sure as I felt nothing and I am a little bitter about this as the least he could have done was cop a feel at the same time.

My only solace is that the bugger only got $3,000 TSH which is a whopping $2 Canadian.

Thank god my larger bills were in the pocket on my leg which has buttons to close it.  Then he could have gotten about $60,000 TSH.  It's only about $40 CDN but still!

Jennifer was telling us a story over lunch wherein she was in a market in some small city in Ethiopia with one of her students and the student looked down and this little kid had his hand in the student's pocket.  The only problem was that the kids hand was stuck in the student's pocket and he couldn't get it out.  The picture of this poor little kid being pulled along with the student made me laugh.

Speaking of laughing, Ken has told me that the first time I laughed in the school where we were doing our research last week, it apparently scared the kids.  He said they did not know what to make of it at first.  Oh, well, I guess all the culture shock is not just being experienced by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment