Saturday, May 14, 2011

Lions, Elephants and Giraffes, Oh My


The trip from Mwanza to Endulen took us through the Serengeti and near Ngorogoro Crater.  Although my safari trip got cancelled we still got to see some amazing things.

We saw zebras, water buffalo, baboons, wildebeasts, elephants, giraffes and lions. 

The lions were right by the road just resting. No word of a lie, they were maybe 10 feet from the car when we stopped.  And NO, I did not get out of the car!  I will post pictures when I get to Zurich and have a better internet connection.

By far though, my favourite is the giraffes.  They are incredibly majestic and absolutely gorgeous!

Our adventure saw us have not one but two flat tires and the wheel bearing had to be repacked as well.  Any of the mechanical men in my life would have been amazed with the mechanics that worked on the bearings.  Their “tools” were in a canvas bag and there was nothing more complicated than a socket wrench!  I tried to think what Rosco would have thought if he had been standing there watching and it made me laugh!

That being said, poor Salehe (our driver and one of the research assistants) had had it by the end of the day.  I do have to say that man, he can change a flat tire fast but thank god we had two spares with us because we were in the middle of nowhere when it happened both times.

No comments:

Post a Comment