Thursday, May 5, 2011

TIA - This is Africa

Apparently, TIA is a common saying amongst those Westerners that work within Africa as things change quite frequently and with very little planning or notice.

I experienced this today!  It turns out we will be going to Endulen, TZ late next week and will be doing our research project out there.  Now, I can tell you that this excites me as the Bachelor of Health Sciences' (BHSc) field school is going on in Endulen and as I had helped with some of the Canadian logistics for several years, this will be a real treat!

However, the logistics of making this happen are mostly out of my control and I am doing just fine with that although I do have opinions and need to express them (apparently my friends tell me I express my opinions in a strong way - thanks girls!).  Jennifer has been very kind to listen to my opinions and for this I thank her.

So, I have had to contact Veve to ask him to gather some clothes for me as it gets quite chilly in Endulen whereas it does not in Mwanza.  Luckily, part of the BHSc contingent coming has not left Calgary yet and I very much hope they can connect with Veve to bring me clothing.

The other up side to this is that we will be driving across the Serengeti to get to Endulen which means I will be going on a safari!

I have to say that I really like being the schmengie (sp?).  I am not responsible for any of the decision making or ensuring that anything happens.  I just show up and do my work and at the end of the day, I am done! Now, if only I could find a job that paid me really well while letting me be a schmengie!

No comments:

Post a Comment