Saturday, May 14, 2011

Endulen


We got to Endulen late and there was little light left.  After the luxurious accommodations in Mwanza, I had a moment when I stepped into the hostel at the hospital. 

It was only the next morning when talking to Ken that I realized that there was suppose to be toilet paper in my bathroom (don’t get grossed out, I had some paper in my computer case for the road trip).  But before that, I was not looking forward to having to do what Ken decribes as the “Asian” method aka using your hand and then washing it.

After a cold bucket shower, I felt so much better and the room was comfortable.

Ken and I are now staying in the head doctor’s house until we leave on Friday.  His accommodations mirror the hostels but my bed is bigger and the bathroom is too.  The shower head actual works so no bucket shower but I have to say, I think I prefer them as the water pressure is pretty low.

The landscape is gorgeous and the Masaai are definitely exotic!  There are several Masaai that work for the field school that Jennifer is running and they are also in the hospital and are the predominant tribe in the area.  We may have one of them working with us next week as translator. 

It is very interesting as English is taught in the schools here as a second language.  It makes me think that the Calgary School Board is making a mistake in making French not mandatory any more.  Many of the people in TZ speak more than 2 languages as Swahili is the national language and then English is also taught but then each tribe has it’s own dialect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment